Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Of patches and friendship

I've been patching things up lately. There was a little invasion of the clothes moth kind, touch wood not in my workshop, in my wardrobe. I had to let go of a few clothes, but some of the were just too good to throw away (or rather to add to the pile of upcycles in the workshop). What's a few little holes? Well, the mail problem is that they can get bigger, so I decided to use patches. Not store bought ones though. I mean, I do have a sewing machine and a pair of scissors or two, so why not make some of my own? I found that woolen blankets were perfect for this kind of venture, they won't shrink in the washing and they add some cool colors to clothes. And I have lots of scraps after making all these patchwork woolen curtains. So I've been cutting out hearts and stars, just because I like them and they're relatively easy to cut out.

Today I caught up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. That felt like patching things up too, you know, the catching up with their lives and them with yours, talking about what they're up to, what other people we know are up to, future plans... It's hard for me living so far away from so many people I'd like to be closer too, and whenever I reconnect with some, I feel nostalgic in some ways, and sad I can't have my loved souls around... more... Luckily we live in the age of technology, and Skype has helped ease my loneliness, as well as having met great people here too.
It was very nice seeing an old friend in person though, and we had a short but nice time, and I look forward to our paths crossing again, hopefully sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment