Monday, June 13, 2011

Oat crackers: a recipe

Have you ever tried Nairn's oat crackers? Yummy, right?
I have been wanting to replicate these cracker for a while. Lately we've been having porridge for breakfast, and we usually soak the oats the day before. Every now and then we eat something different, so I'm left with a jar of soaked jumbo oats (they're usually fine for about 2-3 days, depending on ambient temperature). The other day I decided to use them to make crackers. I added a bit of wholemeal flour, lots of butter and mixed it into a dough. I flattened walnut size balls onto a baking tray then baked them at 150ºC until slightly golden. Once cooled, they taste like Nairn's crackers. Or like my memory of it anyway.  They're nice, they don't last in our house they're so nice. And very easy to make. Perfect for nibbles with pesto, or chutney (I made a persimmon chutney that goes perfectly well with cheddar cheese, on a piece of oat cracker of course!), or cheese, or all of the previous combined.

Here's a list of the ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup jumbo oats, soaked 24h
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 120g butter

Mix until it forms a dough, take walnut size pieces and flatten onto a baking tray, bake at 150ºC until slightly golden, flip onto other side and bake a little more. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment