Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The blogger is back

Josh was away for work in Wellington, and as he usually takes the computer with him I was blog deprived!

I have been wanting to blog about my secret project for a while... Here it is: earrings!
There is a story behind them: my best friend got married last Saturday in Germany. I wasn't able to attend (New Zealand is a far far away place). It made me very sad, and I wanted to make her something special.
I found a cool book at the library called Stitched Jewels. I made the "leaf" earrings, which were really simple, although it would have been nice to have more pictures of the different stages. I couldn't find one of the supplies (the "acrylic fortifier", used to stiffen the fabric. Pretty crucial) so I improvised and used paint varnish. Worked.
I was pretty happy with the result, sent the parcel five days before the wedding days and it still got there in time! (high five NzPost)

The best thing is that the tutorial was for making two pairs of earrings, one for my best friend and one for myself. I'd told myself I'd dress up and look pretty the day of the wedding, and I'd wear the earrings as well. That way it made me feel I was there in thought.

for some reason I also ended up with an extra pair of earrings, so I've decided to make it a giveaway for a lucky reader. The ways you can enter:

1) By linking (to your blog, facebook, myspace, twitter,..)
2) By leaving a comment
3) By following this blog

Make sure you leave a comment to let me know which way you've entered!
Entries close on the 15th of July.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, these are so cool, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nooo! I missed this draw!
    You're so crafty, I love love love these - what a cool gift, she must have been stoked!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, you're in the draw, the entries close in 3 weeks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete