Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mini art journal challenge: week 4

I was inspired for this one, although it took me a while to click. This week's prompt is: "A symbol you love".
The reason why it took me a while to find that symbol is that I don't use any. But there is one symbol that has a huge significance for me since I was a teenager. At that time I was "grunge". I listened to pop rock bands such as The Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Jane's addiction,  ... The one I loved the most though was The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I had all their albums (At the time "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was their latest one), I knew everything about the band, how they formed, who played, their first name (He he, who knows what it was?), I wore the band's tee shirts... They are a part of me. Through their music and that of other bands, I shaped my tastes and also expressed my personality. I first discovered them when I was about 16, listened to their albums until my mid twenties (and still occasionally do!). Those years are very dear to me: the beginning of adulthood, getting to know myself and affirming my independence. I was inspired to play bass guitar by Flea (the bass guitarist, I love his style!). They were so cool, so wild, so funky and they seemed to be having great fun! Everything I aspired to at the time.
Oh, and a year ago I found myself on a film set with Anthony Kiedis. Yes. I thought he was a new guy from art department. It was on "The first day of the rest of your life", I was working as a focus puller.
So this is what is on my card this week: their symbol, and all the meaning it carries with it.

I used multicolored sticky dots for the background, sanded them then cut out the symbol in some japanese craft paper my friend Louise gave me a few years ago (yes, I am a hoarder. I've got a chinese newspaper from my trip to China 10 years ago). Then I cut out the initials of the band from a newspaper lying around. I traced the contour of the symbol with a red coloring stick, then a black one. I also lightly rubbed the black one on the rest of the card. Finally I wrote "Red Hot Chili Peppers" at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment