Monday, April 5, 2010

MAKE YOUR OWN: notepad

I try as much as I can to be a conscious shopper, and wherever possible recycle, upcycled or re-use. But what to do with Tetrapak cartons??? I usually make our own nut milk but the past few months we have been unable to get some from our supplier, so we've been buying rice and oat milk every now and again.
I've been trying to figure out what to do with them, since they're not recyclable nor biodegradable, then Josh complained that he always looses his notes (scribbled on random pieces of paper). There was the idea I've been looking for: upcycled the milk cartons into notepad covers. And at the same time my pile of scrap paper will go down s well. double bingo!
I'd already seen a tutorial in World Sweet World magazine, but decided I'd come up with my own design. You can never have enough notepads, so if you've got a few tetrapak cartons lying around, it's time to get crafty!

- Level: easy
- Time: 30mn
- Material: tetrapak carton (clean!), a piece of string, scrap paper (A4 is easier)
- Tools: paper cutter or scissors, ruler and craft knife,  double hole puncher

1- Cut the A4 scrap paper in 4.
2- Cut the tetrapak carton so that it's a bit wider than the cut paper. I chose to also have a flap closing over the front. Decide which way it will open and what design you want then fold the carton around the cut paper to shape it before cutting.
3- put holes through the top of the carton with the double hole puncher, then do the same with the paper.
4- thread the string through the front of the tetrapak, then thread through the blank side of the paper. once all the paper is threaded, thread through the back of the tetrapak. Turn it around and tie it at the back.



1 comment: