Friday, November 12, 2010

Working on a deadline - part 2

Now that your work and head space are clear and organized, it's time to get busy!

2- Allocate time

- I found that timing myself was quite useful. If I know how long it takes to achieve each task, I can plan ahead and know when I can expect the finish product to be ready, or how many hours I need to put in to be ready for D-day. In my case, the latter applied and I knew I would have to work a couple more hours a day to get everything done. It's also a good way to work out how much your work is worth.

- Set yourself deadlines and goals. I find that setting a time when each step has to be finished helps me get through it all.
Wood Clock Faces with a Salvador Dali Twist by porkchopshow


- Set a time for work and a time for "play". I made it a rule that I don't work when Tahi's awake. I used to dash into my sewing room if I had had a spare 10mn when he seemed to be playing and having a good time on his own. But it never worked, and he'd always end up coming looking for me then wanting to play with my tools or whatever he could find in the sewing room (scissors being a favourite). Plus I didn't feel like I was being very productive with all this stopping and going and Tahi wasn't getting the quality time he deserved. So now I use our time together to play or do house chores, so when he's finally in bed and asleep I can focus on my work. This way I get one or two hours of uninterrupted time to myself.


3- Delegate

Don't be shy to ask for help. If you have family or friends around you trust and that are willing to give you a hand, say yes! It will make less stressful for everyone and some people love being involved in projects. This time round Josh was away with the car, so I asked a good friend to look after the boy and some other friends lent me their car. It would have been near impossible without their valuable help!

I hope you find this useful, and stay tuned for part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment