Monday, July 16, 2012

revamping the workshop

When we got back, I spent a week (or maybe a couple?) just settling back into the groove of things. It's amazing how long it takes me to feel ready to start creating. This is one of the reasons I never really got round to creating anything when I was working, because it takes so long for my  brain to adjust and switch to hobby mode, by the time I felt ready to go for it I was working on a new contract. Or more likely I was going from one contract to another with little or no days off. After I had Tahi it took me a year to figure out what I wanted to be doing, as a hobby. I love being a mum and caring for my kids, but I need an outlet, something just for me.
After 3 months away, I started seeing my workshop with new eyes. I looked messy and my mood had completely shifted from what I had put up on my wall when I first moved into the room. Yes, it was time for a revamp! (and here's if you're wondering what is used to look like)
New visuals on the wall. Great for artistic inspiration and stimulation
I even made a collage (bottom right) of colors and textures that inspire me at the moment. Yes, green is my color at the moment. Green and red .


Josh had lots of leftover wallpaper from his job (the advantages of being a production designer, you get first pick!), and I've used some here and there to liven up our old cheap (often free) furniture. I pasted some cool dark red wallpaper on this table, then put a few coats of varnish to make it look a bit like the tables they used to have in libraries, the ones with a leather covered table top... Now I'd like to sand the legs and other parts of it and either leave them with the vintage sanded look or repaint them another color.

No comments:

Post a Comment