Monday, February 7, 2011

Newcomer

Our little boy was born a week ago already!
He was born at home, early tuesday morning while his brother was asleep next door. It was an amazing experience, completely the opposite from Tahi's birth (emergency cesarean) which was quite traumatizing for me. I had a great midwife and I am so grateful to her and to the New Zealand system that allows us to choose this form of "alternative" care (as opposed to dealing with doctors and obstetricians). The last four months of my pregnancy got quite stressful at stages because of a condition called obstetric cholestasis (which I had with Tahi as well) but I stayed positive and actually managed to get rid of this "no cure" disease. It made me more confident in my birth choices and I felt this baby wanted to be born at home. And he was!
Half an hour after he was born we were all sitting on the couch in the lounge, Josh cooked french toast with homemade plum jam for breakfast (yum!) and some fresh peppermint tea. The sun had just come up and the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful.


I haven't left the house much and Miro has been feeding and sleeping like a newborn, so I even had some time to whip up a light cotton cocoon for him. It's been so hot here he hardly needs any clothes (great for skin to skin time!), and the cocoon is just what I needed to keep him lightly covered. I was inspired by some beautiful ones I'd seen on Etsy, but they looked much too warm and would have taken too long to get here. Unfortunately I didn't save the seller to my favorites and now I can't find it anymore!
The lining is made with an upcycled organic fair trade cotton tee shirt from KowTow.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, hes gorgeous.
    And congratulations on having the birth you wanted, thats so special.
    The cocoon looks lovely too, you are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxx from us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I have not visited your space for so so long, and something reminded me to. So yay! Happy days for you and your beautiful family. I LOVE the cocoon! your so talented, your family are truly blessed!!

    ReplyDelete