Monday, July 5, 2010

mini art journal challenge: week 14

This week's prompt: "Birds". I was looking forward to this one. I like birds. Somehow I don't think it is really reflected in my card though.
Since moving to New Zealand, I have come to be at times obsessed with birds. I would have my binoculars handy wherever I'd go, along with my "Field guide to the birds of New Zealand". I would go for bush walks in the Waitakere and marvel at the sight and sound of native birds. I have come to love bird watching. There is something fascinating about the natural history of New Zealand in the fact that both island were mainly populated by birds until the arrival of the first human beings. A lot of birds were flightless, and had no defense mechanism against intruders such as rats, possums or even humans. The largest eagle of all times lived in New Zealand and hunted Moa (a big ostrich-like bird).
Bill Hammond's bird headed people reflect this heritage best in my opinion. I went to see an exhibition of his paintings at the art gallery in Wellington last year, I was so impressed.
Anyway, I have been a bird lover and keen bird watcher for a few years now, although I've found it harder to get my fix here in Gisborne with a 2 and a half year old. I've done quite a few trips to Kapiti island (where I saw a Kiwi real close and calling!), wish I had done more to Tiritiri Matangi island (where I saw from upclose a beautiful Kokako!) and a lot of bird surrounded walks around both islands. And I look forward to passing on my love and knowledge to my son! He already know the names of the few birds we see on the coast and during our walks, but they are hard to spot sometimes, especially for a little person who doesn't know what to look for.
As fate would have it, it turned out that our local monthly newsletter, Wasab!, had also themed this month around birds. So I didn't have to look very far for pictures of birds! Since taking a picture of my card though I have added a feather or two, so I will have to update the photo at some stage.



And here's the finished card:

1 comment: